Professor and James L. Decker '45 Endowed Chair in Aerospace Engineering and Director, Center for Flow Physics and Control (CeFPaC).
Prof. Amitay's research interests are in developing active flow control techniques with applications in aeronautical/mechanical systems. He conducts state-of-the-art experiments to understand the flow phydics of 3-D flow fields and the interaction of flow control actuators with these flows.
D.Sc., Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, 1994
CFES Research Area
- Lander, D.C., Letchford, C.W., Amitay, M., and Kopp, G.A., “The influence of the bluff body shear layers on the wake of a square prism in a turbulent flow”, Physical Review Fluids, June 2016.
- Amitay, M., Tuna, B.A., and Dell’Orso, H., “Identification and Mitigation of T-S Waves using Localized Dynamic Surface Modification”, Physics of Fluids, vol. 28, Issue 6, June 2016. DOI: 10.1063/1.4953844.
- Van Buren, T., Leong, C., Whalen, E., and Amitay, M., “"Impact of orifice orientation on a finite-span synthetic jet interaction with a crossflow”, Physics of Fluids, Vol.28, Issue 3, March 2016.
- Taylor, K. and Amitay, M., “Dynamic Stall Process on a Cantilevered Finite Span Blade and its Control via Synthetic Jet Actuators”, Physics of Fluids, 27, 067102; 10.1063/1.4921844, 2015
- Van Buren, T., Whalen, E., and Amitay, M., “Vortex Formation of a Finite Span Synthetic Jet: effect of rectangular orifice geometry”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, V. 745, pp. 180-207, April, 2014
- DeMauro, E., Leong, C.M., and Amitay, M, “Interaction of a synthetic jet with the flow over a low aspect ratio cylinder”, Physics of Fluids, Vol. 25, Issue 6, 2013.
- Demauro, E., Leong, C., and Amitay, M., “Three-Dimensional flow Interactions in Low Aspect Ratio Finite span Cylinders”, Experiments in Fluids, 2012, (DOI) 10.1007/s00348-012-1413-2.
- Farnsworth, J., Amitay, M., Beal, D., and Huyer, S., “Interactions of a Propeller with a Stator-Induced Circumferentially-Varying Flow”, Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 52, N. 2, 495-510, DOI: 10.1007/s00348-011-1239-3, January 2012.
- Elimelech, Y., Vasile, J.D., and Amitay, M., “Secondary Flow Structures due to Interaction between a Finite-span Synthetic Jet and a 3-D Cross Flow”, Physics of Fluids, 23, September, 094104 (2011); doi:10.1063/1.3632089
- Tumburello, D. and Amitay, M., “Dynamic response of a free jet to the activation of a single synthetic jet”, Journal of Turbulence, Volume 8, N. 48, 2007.
- Ciuryla, M., Liu, Y., Farnsworth, J., Kwan, C., and Amitay, M., “Flight Control Using Synthetic Jets on a Cessna 182 Model”, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 44, No. 2, March–April 2007, 642-653.
- Amitay, M. and Cannelle, F., “Evolution of Finite Span Synthetic Jets”, Physics of Fluids, Volume 18, Issue 5, pp. 054101-054101-16 (2006).
- Pavlova, A. and Amitay, M., “Electronic Cooling Using Synthetic Jet Impingement”, Journal of Heat Transfer, Issue 9, 897-907, 2006.
- Amitay, M., Washburn, A.E., Anders, S.G., and Parekh, D.E., “Active Flow Control on the Stingray UAV: Transient Behavior”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 42, No. 11, 2004.
- Glezer, A. and Amitay, M., “Synthetic Jets”, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 2002, 34.
- Amitay, M. and Cohen, J., “Instability of a Two-Dimensional Plane Wall-Jet Subjected to Blowing or Suction”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 344, 67-94, 1997.