The Center for Future Energy Systems (CFES) provides critical research, collaboration, education, and funding for the development of a future energy system in New York State. CFES is a locus of energy research at Rensselaer —partnering with industry, government, and educational institutions to accelerate renewable energy research, move technologies from the laboratory to the marketplace, and ultimately build and sustain economic value.
The VISION of CFES is a future energy system that is sustainable, resilient, and economical, enabled by new technologies for renewable energy, energy storage, energy efficiency, and advanced electric grid control.
The MISSION of CFES is to pair the talent and resources of a world-leading research university with industry innovators to move new technologies from the lab to the marketplace for an energy-sustainable future.
CFES is at the forefront of three broad areas of energy research and development:
CFES partners with industry, government and educational organizations to advance energy technology through:
- Applied research and collaboration with expert faculty and staff
- Access toworld-class facilities and laboratories at Rensselaer
- Assistance in obtaining funding from state and federal agencies and programs, including NYSERDA, SBIR, STTR, ARPA-e
- Technology transfer and licensing opportunities
- Business resources for startups and technology innovators
- Education and workforce development opportunities
World-class energy research and testing facilities are available to industry and government partners through research collaboration and facility use agreement.
Education & Outreach
CFES is active in providing educational opportunities to industry, faculty and students. We also sponsor energy-related conferences and events across the state.