Ford Foundation Professor
Chulsung Bae is Ford Foundation Professor at Department of Chemistry & Chemical Biology (with a joint appointment at Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering), Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Broadly speaking, Bae's research group focuses on development of functional polymeric materials that might find applications in the areas of clean energy and environment technologies, using synthetic organic chemistry as a tool. Specific examples of projects include innovative ion conducting polymer electrolytes that can be used as a key component in next generation energy conversion and storage technologies, such as fuel cells, hydrogen production via water splitting, and redox flow battery, and functional polymers that can play a crucial role in energy efficient separation process.
Bae received BS in Polymer Science & Engineering at Inha University, MS in Materials Science at POSTECH, MS in Chemistry at University of Massachusetts at Lowell, and PhD in Chemistry at University of Southern California under the guidance of Surya Prakash and Nobel Laureate George Olah. After postdoctoral research with John Hartwig at Yale University, he started independent academic career at University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV) as an Assistant Professor in 2004. In 2012 Bae relocated his research group to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Dr. Bae received a number of awards including New Investigator Award of UNLV (2005), National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2008), and RPI School of Science Outstanding Research Award (2016). In 2017 Dr. Bae received a $2.5 million contract from the U.S. Department of Energy's Advanced Research Products Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) to develop innovative solid ion conducting materials for next generation renewable energy conversion and storage technology.
Postdoc, Yale University
Ph.D. Chemistry, University of Southern California
MS Chemistry, University of Massachusetts Lowell
MS Materials Science & Engineering, POSTECH
BS Polymer Science & Engineering, Inha University
CFES Research Area
- E. J. Park, S. Maurya, A. S. Lee, D. P. Leonard, D. Li, J. Y. Jeon, C. Bae, Y. S. Kim* “How does a Small Structural Change of Anode Ionomer Make a Big Difference in Alkaline Membrane Fuel Cell Performance”, J. Mater. Chem. A. 2019, 7, 25040–25046.
- S. Noh, J. Y. Jeon, S. Adhikari, Y. S. Kim, C. Bae* “Molecular Engineering of Hydroxide Ion Conducting Anion Exchange Polymers for Electrochemical Energy Conversion Technology” Acc. Chem. Res. 2019, 52, 2745–2755.
- S. Maurya, A. S. Lee, D. Li, E. J. Park, D. P. Leonard, S. Noh, C. Bae, Y. S. Kim* "On the Origin of Permanent Performance Loss of Anion Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells: Electrochemical Oxidation of Phenyl Group" J. Power Sources 2019, 436, 226866.
- T. Zelovich, L. Vogt-Maranto, M. A. Hickner, S. J. Paddison, C. Bae, D. Dekel, M. E. Tuckerman,* "Hydroxide Ion Diffusion in Anion Exchange Membranes at Low Hydration: Insights from Ab initio Molecular Dynamics" Chem. Mater. 2019, 31, 5778–5787.
- I. Matanovic, S. Maurya, E. J. Park, J. Y. Jeon, C. Bae, Y. S. Kim* "Adsorption of Polyaromatic Backbone Impacts the Performance of Anion Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells" Chem. Mater. 2019, 31, 4195–4204.
- W. Jia, J. Y. Jeon, L. Zhu, S. Park, C. Bae,* and H. Lin* "Gas Transport Characteristics of Fluorinated Polystyrene-b-polybutadiene-b-polystyrene (F-SBS)" J. Membr. Sci. 2019, 591, 117296.
- J. Y. Jeon, S. Park, J. Han, S. Maurya, A. D. Mohanty, D. Tian, N. Saikia, M. A. Hickner, C. Y. Ryu, M. E. Tuckerman, S. J. Paddison, Y. S. Kim*, and C. Bae* "Synthesis of Aromatic Anion Exchange Membranes by Friedel-Crafts Bromoalkylation and Cross-linking of Polystyrene Block Copolymers" Macromolecules 2019, 52, 2139–2147.
- S. Maurya, S. Noh, I. Matanovic, E. J. Park, C. N. Villarrubia, J. Han, C. Bae,* and Y. S. Kim* "Rational design of polyaromatic ionomers for alkaline membrane fuel cells with >1 W cm-2 power density" Energy Environ. Sci. 2018, 11, 3283–3291.
- B. Date, J. Han, S. Park, E. J. Park, D. W. Shin, C. Y. Ryu, C. Bae* "Synthesis and Morphology Study of SEBS Triblock Copolymer Functionalized with Sulfonated and Phosphonate Groups for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells" Macromolecules, 2018, 51, 1020–1030.
- S. Gottesfeld, D. R. Dekel, M. Page, C. Bae, Y. Yan, P. Zelenay, Y. S. Kim* "Anion exchange membrane fuel cells current status and remaining challenges" J. Power Sources 2018, 375, 170–184.